Consultations are part and parcel of Local Plan development but the use of e-consultation tools and software varies across Councils. To save time and money Councils are being encouraged to provide more services online. OpusMap includes standard tools for creating and publishing interactive consultation maps in support of online consultations helping Councils improve both the level of service and level of access in support of public engagement in the Local Plan process.
View an example of an online consultation that integrates OpusMap here. This was created for Colchester Borough Council as part of their LDP.
How to Link Documents to your GIS Data in OpusMap
The following short tutorial videos show you how easy it is to link documents in your consultation system to your GIS data in OpusMap. In this example, our partner OpusConsult was used in a live consultation by Watford Borough Council .
Benefits of using OpusMap in conjunction with online consultations
- Gives people a common spatial context: interactive mapping helps people understand how a consultation relates to their settlement or community
- Improve accessibility: Interactive maps engage people graphically and gives them an alternative engagement interface to simply reading a document
- Higher quality of engagement: 2-way links between maps and consultations mean people can choose how they navigate your consultation, spatially or textually, and become better informed through better online interaction
- More dynamic engagement: Combine address searching with your interactive map so people can identify what consultation issues are relevant to their place of residence or work
- Improve e-consultation uptake: People will be more inclined to make online submissions if they have online resources such as interactive mapping to guide them to information relevant to them
- Improve productivity and turnaround: use drawing tools as part of the online user submission process so all data is provided online and in a consistent format making it easier to process reps and responses
- Consultation integration*: Use our API to link maps published in OpusMap to your e-consultation tools or system
- Ongoing support and maintenance: 9-5 email and telephone helpdesk and no additional costs for improvements and updates to OpusMap
*Don’t have a consultation system? Ask us about OpusConsult, a hosted e-consultation system that supports Local Plan and LDP consultations.